As lockdown continues to ease and more people return to using buses, Lothian Buses have been in touch with an update on their services and communication with passengers:
As at time of writing we are moving through Phase 2 of the Scottish Government’s route map to recovery.
Lothian are committed to delivering for all of our customers and are taking every step reasonably practical to keep our colleagues and customers safe during exceptionally challenging operational times. Lothian’s commercial team continually analyse the network and our operational control team monitor customer numbers daily and this allows us, where feasible to tactically deploy additional resources. We previously revised Service 106 which due to low bridges at Dunbar and East Linton is operated by single deck vehicles.
As part of our phased strategic response we have a customer communication campaign which reflects current Scottish Government advice and sets out steps for safe travel. We ask that all of our customers work with us and adhere to Scottish Government advice as we move through the Phases set out in their route map.
Campaign messaging is available on all of our platforms – including digital screens, on bus guidance signage and customer audio announcements in addition to being broadcast across all Lothian’s social media channels.
Key messages encourage customers:
- To plan travel and allow extra time for journeys
- To follow the guidelines and observe all signage when travelling with us
- To wash or sanitise hands thoroughly before and after travel
- To practise physical distancing where possible
- To leave windows open (where applicable) to increase air flow
- In line with current Scottish Government advice, consider wearing a face covering when travelling*
- To get on and off the bus one at a time
- To avoid using cash where possible and to use contactless or m-tickets to pay for travel
- To be respectful of our drivers
- To be considerate and patient with all fellow customers
A dedicated web presence which gives more detailed information and signposts Scottish Government guidelines forms a nimble cornerstone for all customer messaging – you can access the current information here: www.lothianbuses.co.uk/HelpUsToHelpYou.