In these unprecedented times millions of people are facing both a struggle to keep themselves and their loved ones safe and uncertainty about their incomes and job security.
Trade unions always help us to stand together when times are tough – protecting our lives and our livelihoods. With growing concerns about how people can return to work safely after lockdown there has never been a more important time to join a union.
Unions have been fighting for the interests of their members and workplaces throughout this crisis. From advocating for the furlough scheme to promoting fair and safe working practices, unions are always focused on supporting and protecting members.
Here are 5 more reasons why you should join a trade union:
- Trade unions give power to working people by enabling employees to speak with one voice to their employer. As a result, trade unions help working people to win a better deal at work.
- Union members are likely to have a more secure job with better maternity, paternity, sickness and pension benefits. As a union member you are also more likely to have more paid holiday and more control over your working hours.1
- Workers in unionised workplaces get paid around 6.5% more than workers in similar non-unionised workplaces.2 Unionised workplaces also have smaller pay gaps meaning women are more likely to get paid the same as men for doing the same or similar work.3
- Unions provide access to legal advice on employment matters and can represent you at any employment tribunal. They support and represent you if you are a victim of workplace discrimination, harassment or bullying.
- The trade union and labour movement believe that we achieve more together than we do alone. By joining a union you are promoting our collective values of solidarity and equality in your workplace and helping to grow the movement.